Professional Land Survey Operations Manager
Western Heritage Consulting & Engineering is seeking candidates for a Professional Land Surveyor for the Land Survey Operations Manager position in Casper, WY. The role of the Land Survey Operations Manager is to proactively coordinate with Survey Clients, Project Managers, Project Engineers, Construction Crews and Company Management to prioritize projects, distribute resources, and accomplish survey needs. He/She will also perform a variety of in-office and field tasks associated with land surveying and civil engineering projects obtained by the company, with oversight over all ground survey field operations including ground field technicians and surveyors. This individual will also coordinate with aerial survey operations staff and procure or coordinate outside aerial survey operations to provide comprehensive survey documents for Clients, Engineers, Design Staff, and Construction Staff.
This position requires thorough knowledge of Land Surveying and Engineering practices and techniques, as well as AutoCAD Civil3D and graphics drafting skills. Applicant will be asked to plan and conduct independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of surveying techniques, procedures and criteria. Applicant will be responsible for individual project survey and survey document development, as well as management of team members both internal and external for survey related activities and progress, and will also act as a team member for projects with external project partners. Applicant will devise new approaches to problems, and prepare or modify drawings, specifications, templates, calculations, charts and graphs, and monitor work for compliance to applicable codes, accepted surveying practices and Western Heritage Consulting & Engineering standards. Will also manage drafting and survey standards. Individual should have experience leading projects, performing customer service and marketing tasks to develop project work and generate or extend contracts with Clients.
• Manage both office and field survey staff
• Ability to create and maintain working relationships with clients and potential clients to obtain new work
• Delivery of a quality product and superior service to external and internal clients
• Prepare proposals, monthly invoicing and be responsible for project financial performance
• Adhere to Company safety polices along with use of supplied personal protective equipment, (PPE)
• Complete internal and external training as required
• Responsible for the operations of the Survey Department including personnel, equipment, and budget management accomplished through directing Land Survey Operations and other department personnel.
• Prepare and provide estimates, proposals, and technical approach plans and direct employees in the execution of project work including the sealing of documents in their licensed jurisdiction(s).
• Direct the development, implementation, and monitoring, and adherence to regulatory and compliance programs.
• Direct departmental personnel management including the development of and implementation of company policies and procedures regarding incentives, reviews, hiring, termination, professional development, and maintaining morale of survey staff.
• Direct the development and implementation of program and departmental policies aligned with short and long-term company goals.
• Develop surface models, property boundaries, subdivisions, and manage point clouds utilizing AutoCAD Civil 3D or ESRI software
• Utilize sketches, notes and other input material to complete surveys, legal descriptions, easements and survey drawings with minimal supervision
• Act as Project Manager for assigned projects
• Inform Project Manager(s) of progress on assigned projects
• Manage Templates and CAD Standards for and with AutoCAD Civil 3D
• Instruct drafters on how to create drawing of designs and survey information
• Perform research, write technical reports and prepare legal recordable documents
• Operate, Manage, and procure survey equipment
• Use Trimble software to solve engineering problems
• Develop Survey Models, Machine Control models, Stake Out Alignment, profile, and corridor models
• May provide some construction observation
• Receive initial instruction or advice from a supervisor or project manager; work is subject to supervisor approval
• Supervise surveyors, student and/or drafting staff
• Prepare project schedules and provide project management
• One week per month out of town travel is anticipated, but candidate should be prepared for 25-50% travel on an as needed basis.
• May traverse and work in all types of terrain and weather conditions, as well as project sites in various stages of construction
• Other assigned duties as required
• Bachelor’s Degree in surveying, geodesy, or other applicable field from an ABET accredited U.S. institution of higher education
• Professional Surveyor Licensure, in good standing in Wyoming, (LS / PLS licensure in other states and/or ability to obtain licensure by comity/reciprocity)
• Professional Surveyor Licensure, in good standing in Colorado-preferred
• 7+ years progressive experience of field/office combined on a survey crew, or related experience
• 5+ years in a people supervisory or management role
• 8+ years of surveying experience and experience using Trimble RTK, Optical, and Laser survey equipment.
• Proficient in AutoCAD Civil 3D and Trimble Business Center
• Effective communications skills both oral and written
• Effective interpersonal skills with coworkers and public agency officials
• Valid Driver’s License, with clean driving record; subject to WHCE insurance company review
• Ability to work interdependently within a team environment
• Must be flexible to changes in work assignments on short notice and/or on a daily basis as changes occur in project needs
• Represent WHCE in a professional manner at all times
Skills and Special Requirements:
• Strong communications skills with the ability to work effectively with all associates and senior management
• Ability to convey a positive and professional image to internal and external contacts
• Ability to work under pressure while maintaining a positive and helpful attitude
• Well organized with the ability to handle multiple and competing priorities
• AutoCAD Civil3D
• Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Suite
• Pre-employment drug and alcohol screening
• Background screening including previous employment, education, criminal history, and driving record verification
• Ability to legally work in the United States (current)
Work Environmental & Physical Demands:
The characteristics described below are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing duties of this job, employee will occasionally be required to drive a motor vehicle, stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop or kneel, talk and hear, and use fingers and hands to feel objects, tools or controls. Workload may require work in outside environment or on construction sites at times with exposure to sun and wind with occasional limited exposure to precipitation.
• Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.
• Project observation, sampling and certification may require assembly or testing of mechanical and/or electronic components requiring operation of design equipment or components.
• Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Overtime may be necessary as workload’s dictate. This may include weekdays, weekends and/or holidays.
• Job will generally be performed in an office and outdoor environment, and will require travel to visit a Client’s office, project location or industrial/construction job site. Conditions will vary at each location, but the conditions listed above will generally apply.
• May be assigned to work at a Client’s office, facility or site for an extended period. Conditions will vary at each location, but the conditions listed above will generally apply. When performing outside Western Heritage Consulting & Engineering’s office, appropriate safety training and safety equipment will be provided by Western Heritage Consulting & Engineering and/or Client as required.
Response and submittal:
Submit resume, cover letter, & contact information to: email@example.com for questions: 307.215.7430 ext 101.